Best Practice Webinar Series – Resource Centers, Job Fairs & Networking
Wednesday, January 31, 2018 – 1:00 PM EST
As offenders near release, it is critical for Correctional Industries to offer reentry/workforce development programming that involves offenders in job fairs, career resource centers, as well as provide other networking opportunities to get offenders “job ready” upon release. The Webinar will focus on the Vocational Village, Michigan’s career resource center.
Webinar Topics Include:
- The Michigan “Vocational Village” – a career resource center – will be highlighted where offenders learn vocational skills, earn certifications, participate in job fairs, and complete other employment readiness activities (WorkKeys assessment, resume writing, obtaining work documents, etc.)
- How Michigan developed the Vocational Village and the necessary steps involved with replicating this resource center at other correctional facilities across the state
- Michigan State Industries will review the partnership between MSI and the Michigan DOC to show how MSI offenders are able to participate in the Vocational Village and other reentry/workforce development programming
- How the Vocational Village is promoted throughout the Michigan job market and receives buy-in from all levels of state government
- The process to match occupational skills to fit the job vacancies in the counties/locality where offenders are released, as well as recruiting employers who will actively hire ex-offenders
- Success stories of ex-offenders who participated in the Vocational Village and other workforce development programming will be shared
Meet the Presenters:
Marissa Eans is an Employment Counselor with the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC). In that role, she provides vocational counseling, skills and opportunities for offenders through placement into vocational/workforce development programming. Prior to MDOC, she worked in the direct care field, and also participated in reentry programs assisting ex-offenders with employment/housing needs and resume building/writing. She earned a Bachelors in Psychology with a minor in Criminal Justice from Eastern Michigan University and a Master of Social Work from Wayne State University.
Tujauna White is a Marketing Specialist with Michigan State Industries (MSI). She has 19 years of experience in Correctional Industries, all with MSI. Prior to MSI, she held positions within the private sector for such companies as Ford Motor Company, EDS and Core Technology Software. She is the recipient of the MDOC Professional Excellence Award and Faces of Excellence Award, as well as earned a Certificate of Appreciation from MDOC for Lean Process Improvement. White earned a B.S. in Marketing from Madonna University with a minor in Computer Systems.
Webinar Advantages & Benefits
- No Travel Costs – You don’t even leave your office … you login using the Internet right from your desk or in a conference room.
- Economical – For one low price you can provide training for one or for many (just use a conference room).
- Webinars are Interactive – You have the ability to ask questions and get answers.
- Train More Staff – Many staff can’t travel to receive training … with a Webinar, they don’t have to!
- If your State, County or City has a travel ban … Webinars are designed for you!
Your registration includes the live Webinar + playback recording for $129. You’ll have access to the live Webinar (one connection or “site”) and you’ll receive a playback recording after the Webinar. If you require multiple connections or sites (more than one computer and/or phone connected to the Webinar), please register each connection or site online.
Cancellations: You may send your cancellation by e-mail to email@example.com. Cancellations must be received by NCIA by 5:00 PM (EST) Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
IMPORTANT– Access to GoToTraining is required in order to participate in the Webinar. Please check with your IT department to make sure your network or web security system does not block access to GoToTraining.
Call NCIA at 410-230-3972 if you have questions with the registration process or about Webinars.